E-mail MeJames Dean Spratt Jr.
877-920-1051 (Toll Free)
Jim Spratt is a shareholder in The Bowden Spratt Law Firm, P.C. He has over thirty years of experience in trusts and estates matters, related tax issues, and tax and probate controversies relating to trusts and estates. His practice focuses on wealth transfer planning, business succession, and charitable giving.
Jim is a member of the Atlanta Estate Planning Council, the Atlanta Bar Association, the State Bar of Georgia, the American Bar Association, and the United States Tax Court. He is a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, and he is the current State Chair. He is listed in the 2012-2013 edition of The Best Lawyers in America in the Trusts and Estates category. He is a past Chair of the Taxation Section of the Atlanta Bar Association and is a former Chair of the Business Planning Group of the Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law of the American Bar Association (RPTE). Jim is a current Trustee of The Georgia Federal Tax Conference and a Council Member of the RPTE Section. He is a frequent lecturer and panel member for continuing legal education programs.
Jim graduated magna cum laude from Vanderbilt University in 1976 and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He received his law degree from Vanderbilt University School of Law in 1979, where he was an articles editor of the Vanderbilt Law Review.
Jim is active in numerous educational, charitable and religious organizations. He is currently the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Atlanta Botanical Garden and the Vice Chair of the Administrative Council of Northside United Methodist Church. He has also chaired the planned giving society of the Atlanta Botanical Garden, has served as a member of the Planned Giving Advisory Board of The Community Foundation of Greater Atlanta, and currently serves on the Planned Giving Committee of The Boys and Girls Clubs of Metro Atlanta.
Jim and his wife, Susan, have two children. Molly graduated from Emory University School of Medicine in 2011 and currently is a dermatology Resident at The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City, Iowa. James graduated from Washington and Lee University in 2009 and served as a combat medic in The United States Army until 2012. He is currently pursuing a masters degree at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C.
Areas of Practice
- Trust and Estates
- Wealth Transfer Planning
- Charitable Gift Planning
- Exempt Organizations
- Georgia, 1979
- U.S. Tax Court, 1995
- Vanderbilt University School of Law, Nashville, Tennessee
- J.D. - 1979
- Law Review: Vanderbilt Law Review, Articles Editor
- Vanderbilt University
- B.A.magna cum laude - 1976
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
Honors and Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2005 - 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Atlanta Estate Planning Council, Member, 1988 - Present
- American Bar Association, Chair, Business Planning Group, Section of Real Property, Probate and Trust Law, 2007 - 2009
- State Bar of Georgia, 1979 - Present
- United State Tax Court, 1995 - Present
- Atlanta Bar Association, Chair, Taxation Section, 1994 - 1995
Pro Bono Activities
- Chairman of the Board of Trustees, Atlanta Botanical Garden, 2012 - Present
- Northside United Methodist Church, Vice Chair of the Administrative Council, 2012 - Present
- The Boys and Girls Clubs of Metro Atlanta, Member, Planned Giving Committee, 2009 - Present
- The Community Foundation of Greater Atlanta, Member, Planned Giving Advisory Board, 2005 - 2007