James Dean Spratt Jr.
Jim Spratt is a shareholder in The Bowden Spratt Law Firm, P.C. He has over thirty-five years of experience in trusts and estates matters, related tax issues, and tax and probate controversies relating to trusts and estates. His practice focuses on wealth transfer planning, business succession, and family governance.
Jim is a member of the Atlanta Estate Planning Council, the Atlanta Bar Association, the State Bar of Georgia, the American Bar Association, and the United States Tax Court. He is a past Chair of the Taxation Section of the Atlanta Bar Association and is a former Chair of the Business Planning Group of the Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law of the American Bar Association (RPTE). He has also served as a State Chair of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC).
Jim is an ACTEC Fellow and currently serves on its Board of Regents. He is a current Trustee of The Georgia Federal Tax Conference and a Council Member of the RPTE Section. He has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the Trusts and Estates category since 2005. He is a frequent lecturer and panel member for continuing legal education programs.
Jim graduated magna cum laude from Vanderbilt University in 1976 and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He received his law degree from Vanderbilt University School of Law in 1979, where he was an articles editor of the Vanderbilt Law Review.
Jim is active in numerous educational, charitable and religious organizations. He is a past Chair of the Board of Trustees of the Atlanta Botanical Garden and a past Chair of the Administrative Council of Northside United Methodist Church. He is a Lifetime Trustee of the Atlanta Botanical Garden and a current Director and the Treasurer of the ACTEC Foundation.
Jim and his wife, Susan, have two children. Molly lives in Louisville, Kentucky with her husband and two children. She is a dermatologist specializing in Mohs surgery. James graduated from Washington and Lee University in 2009 and served in The United States Army until 2012. He is currently a medical student at Georgetown University School of Medicine in Washington, D.C.
Areas of Practice
- Trust and Estates
- Wealth Transfer Planning
- Charitable Gift Planning
- Exempt Organizations
- Georgia, 1979
- U.S. Tax Court, 1995
- Vanderbilt University School of Law, Nashville, Tennessee
- J.D. - 1979
- Law Review: Vanderbilt Law Review, Articles Editor
- Vanderbilt University
- B.A. magna cum laude - 1976
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
Honors and Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2005 - 2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Atlanta Estate Planning Council, Member, 1988 - Present
- American Bar Association, Chair, Business Planning Group, Section of Real Property, Probate and Trust Law, 2007 - 2009
- State Bar of Georgia, 1979 - Present
- United State Tax Court, 1995 - Present
- Atlanta Bar Association, Chair, Taxation Section, 1994 - 1995
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, 2004 - Present
Pro Bono Activities
- Lifetime Trustee, Atlanta Botanical Garden, 2012 - Present
- Northside United Methodist Church, Past Chair of the Administrative Council
- The Boys and Girls Clubs of Metro Atlanta, Member, Planned Giving Committee, 2009 - 2014
- The Community Foundation of Greater Atlanta, Member, Planned Giving Advisory Board, 2005 - 2007